KillerKip V5.1
 

Page Navigation
Grand Theft Auto
Misc. Stuff
Moviebox
My Computer
Tamiya
Mini-Z
Links
Mail Me
Go Home
Sitemap

 

 

Misc

Download Movies
Bodies overview
Miscellaneous-Z
Let There Be Light
Circuit Pics

Chassis

Skyline (AWD)
Monster
McLaren F1 (MR02)
MR02LM (MR02)
Concept GT (MR01)
Powerboat

Pictures

Delorean 1
Delorean 2
Murcielago
Batmobile
Toyota Trueno
Porsche 934 Vaillant
Porsche 934 Jägermeisster
Ferrari Testarossa
Nissan 350Z
Nissan GT-R
Countach
Countach LP500S
Viper GTS-R
Ferrari 360 Ecosse
Ferrari 360
MadMax Interceptor
Lexus SC430
Skyline 2F2F
Mercedes SLR
Lancia Delta
BMW M3
Golf GTI
Ford GT
Morris Mini
Mini Cooper S
Mercedes G55L
Ferrari 575
Corvette C5R
Porsche 935
Ferrari Enzo
McLaren F1 Gulf
McLaren F1 Kokusai
McLaren F1 (orange)
Audi A4 S-Line
Audi A4 Red Bull
Ferrari 430 Yellow
Ferrari 430 Red
Ferrari 430 White
Ferrari F40
Hummer H2
Ferrari FFX
Mazda 787
Mazda 787 (2)
Nissan 350Z Nismo
Subaru Impreza
Aston Martin
Honda NSX
Lancer Evo X
Ferrari F355
Porsche 911 GT1
McLaren F1 GTR

Links

Mini-Z linkpage

 
 
 

How To Fit Lights to your Mini-Z

I love my Mini-Z. I also love improving it. One of my improvemenst - te lights - however, was not completely to my satisfaction. Sure, they were lit, and they gave a constant amount of light, and they were only lit when I turned the power on, but I still had to plug a connector into the chassis. When removing the shell, most of the time I would forget about the plug, and it was about to break. I had already adapted my monster (pics below) in a fairly easy way, but the Mclaren still had this annoying problem. So here's what I did:

As a first step, here's an overview of what my car looks like now. Note the wires running along the middle to the front of the car.

These are the lights inside my McLaren shell: I soldered them to fit, and used a drop of superglue to keep them in place.

Some more wires: this time they're glued to the shell, and attached to the front chassis attachment spot with screws. (see below) For wires I used very thin wiring I cut out of a battery-operated-christmas-lights-set

This is where you should attach the wires: solder the negative one to the spot where the negative from your batteries is soldered to the PCB. The positive one should be soldered to the contact which is connected to the positive. Here you have a choice: you can use the one I used, which makes the lights go on only when the switch is turned on, or you can use the one next to it, which will make the lights work whenever batteries are in the car. I chose the switchable solution.

The screws in the shell: these should be long enough to go through the entire platic bit, without being too long so they stick out of the front of your shell. I used original Kyosho screws ;)

The contact part on the chassis. It's pretty straightforward, I just drilled the edge off a bit, and put 4 holes in the black bumperbit: 2 for the tie-wrap, and 2 for tightening down the wires. As you can see, the bare contacts fit into the drilled slots. This is where the screws will be, once the shell is put onto the chassis.

The completed connection: Let There Be Light!



This is what I did with the connector for my monster. Basically the same as the McLaren, but the contacts are located in a completely different spot.

The lights. It's very hard to take decent pics of this because of the chrome shell. Same as the Mclaren, only with white LEDs and in th front of the car...

Contacts in the bodyclip: a screw straight through, with a wire soldered to the back of it.

The wires coming out of the electronics box and going into the chassis-body clips.

A bit of wire nested inside the hole. This comes into contact with the screw on the shell, and supplies the power for the lights...


Ofcourse, my new Lamborghini body had to be equipped with lights as well. Unfortunately, the holes are too small to fit LEDs. So I wanted to use Fibres. I bought one of those cheap UFO-lights (3.50 EUR at Blokker) and killed it to use the fibres. 4 pics below will make all this a bit more clear. I'll show you the read red LEDs first.

The way the fibre is connected for now.

One side of fibres: the small lights need 17 cores, the large ones 30 - Per side! Getting these lined up was pretty tricky - and frustrating at times!

The 'lights' as seen from the other side. Unfortunately, there is no space to guide the fibres to a spot where a LED can be mounted without getting in the way of the wheels or chassis. So I will have to find another solution. Too bad, after all this trouble...

I also adapted the wires from the chassis. In the first version they were attached solid to the chassis. I had to make some sort of connector which will connect to the different bumpers. Another pic ;)


I Finally got it to work - With normal LEDs. Don't know what the effect of this is on the battery-consumption (6 LEDs on 4 AAA cells...) but it looks pretty damn cool...

I had to adapt the 3mm LEDs to fit the 2 and 1.5 mm holes of the lambo headlights. I did this by inserting the LEDs in my Dremel and using a file to scrape the plastic off...

The complete LED-set: 2 LEDs and 2 resistors. For size comparison: an AA battery in the background...

The same complete set in the car. Nice fit ;)

With the second set and screws for power transfer from the chassis.

Finished. Lovely.


 

 
 

Favourites


 
   
 
Copyright KillerKip 2010