KillerKip V5.1
 

Page Navigation
Grand Theft Auto
Misc. Stuff
Moviebox
My Computer
Tamiya
Mini-Z
Links
Mail Me
Go Home
Sitemap

 

 

Downloads
Desktop Backgrounds
Movies

Info
History of Tamiya monster trucks
Juggernaut Journal
Catalogue Listing
Guidebook Listing
Mountaineer article

Various
Old pics
Trailers
Bodies
Racing Gear
Pershing Tank
Trailer Trucks

Off-Road cars
Pajero
Clod Buster
Juggernaut 2
Gravelhound
Max Climber
LunchBox
Thundershot
XR-311
Racing Touareg
Buggy Champ
Jeep Rubicon
Toyota FJ40
Ford F350

On-Road cars
Nissan R91 CP
TL01
Ferrari F2001
Porsche 911 GT1
Audi R8R
Toyota GT One
F103GT
TT01
TA03-F

Competition cars
TB02R
TA05
TT01E

Mini-type cars
Mini / Beetle
Suzuki Swift
Fiat 500
M04
Express MRR2

Links
RC Trial
Tamiya Club
Tamiya International
Tamiya USA
Tamiya Belgium

 
 
 

F103GT chassis

After 2 long weeks of waiting, the new chassis arrived. It's inspired on the 'old' F103 formula one chassis - with a bunch of options included: doubledeck chassis, active front suspension, ball bearings, height-adjustable gear case. Also, the newly designed rear diff / wheel hubs are really cool. The differential has some new parts, it has (nearly) no slip.

I want to make my 100+ km/h car out of this chassis, but it will take some work. Some optional parts were added from the go: carbon rear shaft (not available for F103GT yet), titanium screws, small size servo, 63T spur and 24T pinion. This is the most radical gear ratio possible with this car - unless you modify the gear box... Hmmmm... Contemplating...

The new rear suspension: made to fit touring car rims. The spur is from my old F102 chassis, the diff pressure plates are from my old F103. Also note the cooling-holes in the motor.

The body on this chassis. It's too wide for the wheels, but other than that, it fits nicely. To build a decent dragster, I should lengthen it a bit.

Chassis-overview: I removed the pressure-plates and damper, and replaced it with a solid rod. Note the position and mounting method of the antenna.

I made an 8 cell pack with 2/3 cells, 1200mAh. I'm not sure if these can deliver the power I need when I need it - but, when charged, they deliver 12V...

My brake fets on the Novak 410 HPC are probably shot - they will need replacing... I also need to find a decent shottky diode. This one started smoking after 30 sec at full throttle. :s

Comparison: My TBO2R car wheighs in at 1580 grammes - ready to race. This chassis, in combination with 8 2/3 cells, is 1053 grammes. This should make a big difference on a fast track.

This should make it move... 9D motor, with 1:2.625 gear ratio... Also, the wheels have a larger diameter than the old F1 tyres. So torque will be low - but top speed huge!

Stuff I need to do:

  • Buy & fit telemetry system
  • Add aluminium motor mount
  • Find a decent shottky diode or change ESCs
  • Find and fit decent gripping tyres
  • Possibly get a new, lower body
  • Possibly a new, longer chassis, an improved upper deck, and a trich to make the front end of the chassis stiffer... Plans are being made - designes are being... Well... Designed.

Cranking up performance

Now, if I want to get a 100+kph car, I will need an accurate reading of its actual speed. So I bought the Venom speed meter, which is sort of a mini-telemetry system for RC cars.

I installed the magnet on the rear axle, and glued the sensor to the rear of the gearcase. It works!

I narrowed down the front tyres to about 1.4 cm.

Titanium screws all over (when possible)

Pretty radical gear ratio: 1:2.52.

Global overview - for now

First test of the speed meter, placed on top of my workbench (no resistance, drag, etc... ) with a nearly dead battery: 166kph. Of course, this is completely free-running, and proves nothing. I need to get it out to my testtrack pretty soon.

To decrease wind resistance, I also added a new body: Audi R8C. It's a lot lower than other touring car bodies, so should inclease speed. I'm just not sure what it will do for my downforce... Some pics for now:


First Test Run

I gave the car a quick test run, I was too curious as to the result. Here it is:

(Picture taken with cellphone-cam...)

103km/h! I succeeded! Now I'm just going to see if there's any more speed I can get out of it. To do this, I will need to move the car's weight a bit more to the front, to keep the car more stable. I will design a custom chassis to provide more rigidity and probably add a 7th cell. I also need to add active cooling of some sort to keep the speedo cooler - after about half a pack it shuts down - overheating protection. Will also add an aluminium motor mount.

I also repeated the test of the free-running car, but this time I used a fully charged pack. The result: 190km/h!

I had one crash during testing, at about 80 km/h. Result: lots of scratches on the body and spoiler, and a severely damaged antenna pipe. Other than that the car was fine.

If anyone else has suggestions on speeding it up, please post them onto my forum, or send me a mail. Thanks!

Another global pic, also taken with the cellphone-cam...


Okay, got it up to 104 that time, check out the movie!


108kph achieved!


Some more improvements: I added my spare Spektrum receiver, so I can use the short antenna. This will lower center of gravity, decrease drag, and lose weight.

Top of the antenna sticks out just a little...

Looks a lot cooler without the antenna. The spoiler will be replaced by a lexan model to lose some more weight and hopefully add some rear grip.

Even more radical gear ratio: hoping to be able to hit 115+ with this...


 

 
 

Favourites


 
   
 
Copyright KillerKip 2010